Because host outfits should be chic, too!
With Holiday celebrations in full swing, thinking about what to wear to YOUR party can be downright stressful. There are a lot of little details that go into hosting, whether it be a formal dinner, casual get together, or a festive family gathering. The detail that usually gets pushed to the last minute is what you are going to wear. Before you destroy your closet looking for the perfect host outfit, let us help you get it done in advance!
Spend the Holidays with your loved ones and take as much stress away from the day as possible!
The Host Sets the Tone
What you want to wear goes and as the host, you get to pick the dress code! Check out our Dress Code, Decoded blog to read more on which dress code you want to go for. After that, read on to learn some helpful tips for what to wear when you’re hosting a holiday party.
- Dress comfortably. That doesn’t mean leggings and a sweatshirt (unless that's what you would prefer), but dress to make YOU feel comfortable and confident. Push aside the tight unforgiving jeans and go for a loose fitting, flowy dress or jumpsuit. Try a monochrome look from our CAxLZ Classics Collection for the ultimate chic and comfortable look for any event.
- Don’t wear something too precious. Hosting means being in charge of the food, drinks, and just about everything else! Unless you have help with caterers and a clean up crew, don’t risk ruining your night over a stain on your favorite dress. Balancing a romantic look without being too precious is easy in our Sasha dress in a festive red floral.
- Prevent a panic. Have at least 30 extra minutes before the party starts to prep yourself. Hair, makeup, shoes, jewelry, style yourself head to toe with a little extra time to make sure you feel you’re very best in your host outfit. If you anticipate being in a rush, opt for a one-and-done jumpsuit like the Sara jumpsuit in dark mallard, black or white.
- Wear something that won’t get in the way. When picking out your host outfit, consider the location, weather, and what you will be doing at the party. If you’re cooking, making drinks, or you’re inside or outside, these details are important to think about when choosing your host outfit. We love the impact the Gloria cold shoulder jumpsuit makes without the fuss for this reason.
- Start casual and change into festive! When doing the first round of prep for your event, wear your comfy clothes, and once the main course goes into the oven, change into your festive dress or jumpsuit. This way, you are breathable and cozy when getting everything ready, and look put together when your guests arrive! You can start the day off prepping the event in casual pieces from our CAxLZ Classics Collection and transition into the chic and comfortable Sunny dress updated for the Holidays in a rich velvet.
Contrary to popular belief, hosting doesn’t have to be an absolute pain. It should be about bringing joy to those around you and creating memories with good food and a fun time. With the many moving parts that come with hosting, you should have a no-fuss outfit ready to go. When you feel comfortable and you feel good, you are ready for a good time with no distractions.
Be the life of the party and look great while doing it! Keep reading to figure out what to wear when you’re the hostess.
Think your normal weekend look, but dial it up a little.
Starting with the most low risk hosting event: Holiday brunch with the girls. You still want to look cute without being too put together. Think your normal weekend look, but dial it up a little. Go for a more casual dress and add some trendy touches to complete the look. Start with the Michele plaid dress, a comfortable fabric with a bold pattern. Next, try a heeled mule for the shoes, cute and trendy, but still comfortable! Finally, add some fun accessories and spend your Sunday feeling your very best in your host outfit. We all love a good plaid dress, if you are just as into them as we are, check out our blog on styling plaids here.
Date Night In
You want to look dressed up, but you are still in the comfort of your own home.
Whether it's a first date, or a special dinner with your long term significant other, a date night in can be challenging to dress for. You want to look dressed up, but you are still in the comfort of your own home and could totally rock a pair of sweatpants. Go all out for date night and choose a sexy dress. Our recommendation would be the Harlow velvet dress. An all black dress that is easy to style and wear. Learn more on styling an all black look here. Next, go for a low strappy heel and bold jewelry to add a little sparkle to your date night look.
Pick a look that will move with you throughout the day and night.
Plan ahead so you can engage with your guests and enjoy when it's time. Thanksgiving day is all about feeling good, eating well and expressing gratitude. Pick a look that will move with you throughout the day and night. When it comes to your host outfit, prioritize comfort without sacrificing style with the Elsa wine dress. Pair the dress with a simple flat to keep comfortable, and add on a few accessories that are functional for hosting. If Thanksgiving weekend details are what you’re looking for, read our Thanksgiving weekend style guide to have outfits ready for the long five day weekend.
Slip into a staple customer favorite and figure-flattering silhouette.
The Holidays are overwhelming, so take some stress out of your day by having a look ready to go. After finishing your Holiday dinner setup, slip into a staple customer favorite silhouette like the Lisa 2.0. For the Holidays, we have a red floral print perfect for the season. Her faux wrap detail is a forgiving touch that will allow you to eat that extra Christmas cookie! Pair this dress with a black shoe, and silver accessories. Learn some behind the dress information on our Lisa silhouette and shop our favorite Lisa styles here.
New Year’s Eve calls for sparkle, shimmer, and a bold host outfit!
Wear something that feels special on the last night of the year! New Year’s Eve calls for sparkle, shimmer and a bold look! Don’t be afraid to stand out on NYE. But as the host, still keep it moveable and functional. Go for a festive color, a little shimmer, and add on a bold lip to complete the look! To make it even better, you’re at home so if you need a quick touch up, just sneak away. Make your life a little easier, while still looking GREAT, by wearing the Uptown jumpsuit. With a metallic foiled detail, and a beautiful draped cowl neck, she is the perfect NYE look. Pair her with silver accessories and a red lip for a NYE look that will make everyone's head turn.
Spend the Holidays in the Perfect Host Outfits
The biggest tip we can give you as the host is to be as prepared as possible. Don’t wear your entertaining host outfit while doing the cooking and prepping. Have your festive look ready to go and waiting in your wardrobe to quickly switch into. While you work towards having your home spotless and the conversational areas comfortable and of course the food delicious, make your focus on the people you are welcoming into your house.
Create memories… and look good while doing it!