Have you seen women wearing a dress or jumpsuit tied with a stylish-looking knot? They’ve probably caught your eye because knots create dimension, accentuate a woman’s figure and add some personal style. If you like the overall look a knot creates, but aren’t exactly sure how to tie one, then you’re in the right place.
We’ll start off with a simple, yet versatile knot - the square knot - which will enable you to create a crisp, contemporary look.
When you know how to tie a pretty knot on a dress, jumpsuit or other garment’s belt or sash, you won’t have to resort to tying a bulky - and sometimes uncomfortable - bow. Since square knots lie flat, they create a sophisticated, polished look. Find out how to tie a square knot with our instructions and videos below and you’ll soon be a pro at making them.
Step-By-Step Instructions for How to Tie a Square Knot
- Begin by holding the left tie in your left hand and the right tie in your right hand.
- Cross the left tie over the right tie.
- Bring the end of the left tie back up through the center to form the first part of the knot.
- Pull the ties to tighten them, bringing them closer to the body while still allowing a little slack for movement.
- Hold the right tie in your right hand and the left tie in your left hand. This time, cross the right tie over the left tie.
- Bring the right tie back under the left tie and pull it through the loop and out the left side.
- Pull the ends to tighten the knot being careful not to make it too tight as this will crush the nice square in the middle.
- Smooth out the center of the tie by tugging the edges of the square knot.
- Position both ties to fall from the bottom corners of the square knot.
Check out our two quick videos for a visual of how this is done!
Front View of Tying a Square Knot:
Top View of Tying a Square Knot:
The key when tying a square knot is to remember: left over right, right over left. Note that the knot will also work if you do it as right over left, left over right.
Now that you know how to tie a square knot, you’ll be happy that you have another option aside from a bow to create a modern and stylish look. Be sure to explore our fabulous selection of dresses and jumpsuits to add a few new pieces to your wardrobe that will quickly become favorites.
Your square knot instructions are fantastic!!!
Exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you so very much. 😊